We love laughing our heads off, but don’t appreciate when smile lines gradually take more time to fade away…
When you’re in your middle twenties or early thirties, it’s a bit of a bummer when the first signs of ageing make their appearance.
There are many things you can do to prevent, slow down their evolution, or soften the severity of your lines.
Exercising, having a colorful -full of fruits and veggies- diet and drinking adequate amounts of water, are only few of them.
Apart from the above, there are about 5 things that are backed up by science and you can follow religiously to prevent or eliminate fine lines and premature wrinkles.
First, it’s all about the 3S!
Smoking, Sun, lack of Sleep cause premature aging.
The S factors are within your control to manage for your own benefit.
- Smoking, apart from health damaging, causes fine lines to appear sooner and make themselves permanent more quickly.
- Exposing ourselves in the sun, without caution, will cause irreversible damage to our skin health.
- Wearing sunscreen 365 days a year, rain or shine, will prevent 80% of premature aging.
- Choose a lightweight sunscreen that blurs out wrinkles to make your morning routine more convenient and consistent.
- When you’re sleeping, your body repairs itself, producing collagen which is vital for a firmer looking skin. During sleep, growth hormone is also peaking, which is key in cellular repairing. Lack of sleep has devastating effects in the appearance of your skin, making it dull and tired-looking, not to mention the general grumpiness that follows through.
Then, it’s all about Retinol.
Your body loves Retinol, aka Vitamin A. This miraculous ingredient promotes collagen production and speeds the turnover of superficial skin cells. Studies have shown that topical use of retinol results in significant improvement in fine wrinkles.
When looking for your next face cream, make sure it’s enriched with Retinol.
Last, but not least, its all about Revealing new skin.
Aka exfoliation. Having a dull skin is not exactly the epitome of youthfulness. But exfoliation is more than having a dewy skin per se.
No matter how expensive or good your serum or antiaging cream may be, it won’t be as effective if dead cells are on the top of skin. These precious elements will penetrate your skin much easier, once you remove the outer layer of dead cells and reveal a smooth, soft skin.
You can use scrubs to exfoliate or creams that contain alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs). These little guys when applied to the skin, loosen the “glue” that binds dead skin cells to healthy cells.
Depending on your skin type, you can exfoliate 1 to 3 times a week, and of course never forget; always wear sunscreen the day after!